Dibia


Obiajulu fell to the ground again
His eyes dilated and his fever higher than the famous Ogbor hill
Nne sent me to get the seer Dibia
Although mama would never consent
She wasn’t around to give him her white people medicine
So I ran as fast as my little legs could carry
About three houses away he appeared
A man not much taller than Obiajulu
He stood in front of me chanting
The difference between himself and Obiajulu would be the mere mention of his name
It sent shivers down the spine of children
And elders revered him
He cast his sight on me
And ended his mutterings with;
“I came to save a boy.”
With fear and trembling I pointed towards my house

Obiajulu was now convulsing
Dibia entered in a strange way
He placed a herb on two on Obiajulu’s head and began chanting
The convulsions ceased
Nne rained praises on him
But Dibia repeated himself
“I came to save a boy”
Mama was displeased
She set off with Obiajulu in search of a solution to his condition
Many years passed
And Nne went to be with the gods
On mama’s return, Obiajulu wasn’t cured
But he had some sort of remedy
What surprised mama the most was that
I was no longer Nnamdi but Anyaagbara
I was the boy Dibia came to save.
The next in line to become Dibia

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Definitions

The advice

Kolo