"White", but not.

 In our society, everything from our dressing to our blee is used to judge us. Some find it harder than the rest. But the plight of some cuts across several other societies not just ours. Welcome to the blog lovelies. 


You know in our African community a lot of people have put in effort, chemicals and so much more, to become as light as possible right? Well there's a certain kind of light skin that they cannot achieve. That light skin isn't achievable because it is a resultant of a deficiency of melanin - albinism. 


The cause of albinism is a defect in one of several genes that produce or distribute melanin, the pigment that gives skin, eyes, and hair their coloring. The defect may result in the absence of melanin production or a reduced amount of melanin production. It is neither a disease nor a curse as some African communities including ours see it to be atimes. People with albinism have extremely pale skin, eyes and hair. They are at an increased risk of vision, skin and social issues. However they're not liable to die earlier than their peers or disappear without dying amidst some other ridiculousness that people believe in. 


Today on the blog we featured a long time friend, who's an albino, and she walked us through what it's been like being an albino in our society. Here's her take... 


From my earliest memories, I always knew I was different. I went to primary school was in Jos, where almost everyone around me was super dark (I’m not even joking) so it was obvious that I wasn’t one of them. There was Lisa, a Swiss girl, who also went to my school, but I knew I wasn’t like her either. 

No one really explained what I was to me. I sort of had to stumble into everything I now know. I am very lucky, in that I don’t have hyper reactive skin, or this could have been a different story entirely. 


"So here I am to break the bias on Albinos. 

I knew I was different on the outside, but I didn’t really feel that way inside. Some days, I could literally look at my skin and be shocked that it was “white”. I wanted to be dark skinned so badly. I didn’t realize that my insecurity was so obvious and people around me had started to notice. 

One day, I think I was about seven years old, when a senior friend (Uncle Chidi Ozodo)  was driving my mother and I somewhere. We were stuck in traffic, but then, seemingly out of the blue, he goes “Peace, do you see that lady in the back of that car?”

I nod

“She destroyed her body to look the way God made you”

I never forget these words. I still went on to struggle with self esteem issues for a long time, but those words stayed with me. 


My teenage days were a special hell. I spent them waiting to become older so I could change everything about myself. My hair colour, laser surgery for my eyes, or at  least get contacts. Then I entered university and God decided He’d had enough of my self-loathing. He surrounded me with the best of friends. They made me feel so damn special and loved. Just as I was! That was my miracle. 


Here are some things I’ve learned over the years that can possibly help albinos and their relatives and friends. Albinism isn’t a disease. Yes, it is clinically classified as a disability, because it is as a result of a deficiency of an important polymer- melanin, synthesized from the amino acid, tyrosine (sorry, I’m a  microbiologist). But no, it is not killing me, and it is definitely not contagious. You can ask my friends, we've been close for years, not one of them have become albino by contact, I promise. 

Since albinism occurs as a result of partial to complete absence of melanin, the severity of the manifestation differs with the amount of melanin present. There is a spectrum, and it can occur in all races.

The absence of melanin will lead to eye defects, ranging from shaky, cross eyes, to blurred vision and photophobia. Saying things like “it’s right there, can’t you see it?” is the most unhelpful, insensitive thing you can say to this person. Please be kind, there is a very high probability that my kids will be as dark as any other African child. 

Albinism is a recessive gene.  Don’t experiment with your skin. Many albinos have had to deal with skin blemishes all their life, and have tried to get rid of it using all sorts of soap/skin combos. Please stop, your skin type is still classified the same way as others. There are products made specifically for each, find yours and stick to it. 

Use sunscreen, lots and lots of it. I’m talking to everyone, not just albinos. I take God beg you. The sun, especially with global warming, is just waiting to destroy your precious skin. But for us, it is even more important, as the sun damage can lead to skin cancers and ulceration. Do anything you can to minimize sun exposure. 

Get a good moisturizer and use it often. Stay hydrated. This helps your skin combat any breakouts and blemishes. You can take vitamins D supplements too, there is definitely nothing “magical” about us (sad, but true). I’m sorry to say that using albinos for ritual is as outdated as killing of twins". 


In Tanzania and other parts of Sub- Saharan Africa, it is believed that albinos have supernatural powers and as such are victims of rituals. While here in Nigeria we're hacking ourselves up for money rituals, our African brothers are hacking our sisters, brothers, friends and neighbours for protective spells. God help us. Albinism can affect people of all races and all ethnic groups. So next time you see that white child whom you can tell isn't white as per race, be kind or just plain sensible because more often than not we tend to discriminate against who or what we perceive as different.

The full video interview is on my ig page - @_onyeenyay_



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Definitions

The advice

Kolo